Starting that new electrical project? Here’s a good check list put out by Hawaii’s Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs (DCCA) that is helpful when looking for an electrician, or any other trade person.
Hiring a Contractor Checklist
Are you planning to remodel your home? This checklist will help you make sure you’ve done everything you need to do for your project. Check off each item when they’re complete.
- Get three written estimates for the job.
- Verify the licenses of all contractors and subcontractors with DCCA Call (808) 587-3222.
- Check prior complaints history for all contractors and subcontractors with DCCA.
- Ask contractor for references.
- Request a list of subcontractors to be used.
- Draw up a written contract.
- Read the entire contract and understand all the terms and conditions.
- Purchase performance, material and completion bonds through the contractor.
- Obtain the appropriate building permits.
- See and understand any plans and blueprints before approving them.
- Periodically check on the progress of the work .
- Get lien releases from subcontractors and material supplies.
- Keep copies of all documents and correspondence.
- Publish a notice of completion in the newspaper once the job is done.
RICO’s Top 10 Tips for Consumers (Hawaii State Regulated Industries Complaints Office).